So you can be the trivia King or Queen this Melbourne Cup Day, here are some fun and interesting facts about the “Race that stops a nation”.
* This year will be the 153rd Melbourne Cup.
* The first Melbourne Cup was run in 1861 and won by “Archer”.
* Every year the Melbourne Cup is run on the first Tuesday of November at 3pm AEDST. Although it has been postponed twice in 1870 and 1916 because of rain.
* During World War I and World War II the Melbourne Cup was still run, even though most other sporting events were not taking place.
* The race is 3200 meters long, or 2 miles, and is run at Flemington Race Track in Melbourne.
* Six grey horses have won the race, the most popular being Subzero in 1992.
* The horse numbers thats have won the most Melbourne Cups are 4 and 12 with eleven wins each.
* No horse has ever won the Cup from barrier 18.
* Melbourne Cup day is only a Public Holiday in Victoria.
No matter who your tip is for the Melbourne Cup 2013, whether you are celebrating in style or at work, I hope you enjoy your day and get to watch this iconic Australian sporting event unfold.
Until next time,