The following are some interesting and quirky facts about fleas that you may not know;
* A flea can jump over 30cm high.
* Fleas can consume 15 times their own body weight in blood.
* They can survive for more than 100 days without food/blood.
* They have no ears and are practically deaf.
* Fleas can revive themselves after one year of being frozen.
* They can jump over 30,000 times without stopping.
* With every jump they will reverse direction.
* Fleas can pull up to 160,000 times their own weight.
* You can usually only see 5% of the flea population at a time.
* Flea circuses originated in the 1830’s but mostly died out by the 1940’s, with only a few still around today. A flea circus was an attraction where fleas were made to perform or look like they were performing tricks such as kicking balls, pulling miniature carts or rotating wheels.
If you would like more information on fleas or flea control and eradication please visit the vet-n-pet DIRECT Help Centre at http://help.vetnpetdirect.com.au.
Until next time,